Smoking is (not?) Crescent Fresh: Did you know that there's help?

Friday, May 06, 2005

Did you know that there's help?

So I went to the doctor today to see if I could get some kind of x-ray or MRI or Cat Scan or whatever they might be able to do to see if I have any signs of lung cancer. I've been smoking for 10 years, though I quit for nearly 2 of those, probably a half a pack a day if you averaged it all out really, but maybe more. I just wanted to check to be safe.

I'm down to one cigarette a day, not counting drinking, but I'm not drinking more often just to smoke either, so that's good. He didn't seem all that impressed with those stats, particularly when he saw that I wrote "6-12 beers, 1 day / week" after the question "How often do you drink alcohol?" Anyway the point is that he suggested I take this WELLBUTRIN XL stuff to help me get over the emotional side of smoking. It's an anti-depressant.

Here's my situation, though. I've done lots of drugs in my life and generally have no big concern with doing them. The difference between them and Wellbutrin, however, is that I did those drugs to have a good time, not to adjust something in my head that I apparently can't "fix" on my own. I don't like that idea, and I never have liked anti-depressants as I've seen them make a lot of my ex-girlfriends turn into blobs of emotional nothingness. No happy, no sad, just flat average all of the time. I thrive on extreme highs and lows and I don't want to lose that, even if it's for only 4 months (the average time it supposedly takes to get over smoking with this treatment, which also includes using the patch or chewing tobacco). So I don't know if I'm going to do it or not.

One bonus is that Wellbutrin apparently makes 1 beer = 3 so that'll save me some money there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Olivia Meiring thought to mention...

Please don't take that crap. Rescue Remedy will work for you, and it's completely natural.

I can guarantee it doesn't dull your emotions at all, it just takes the frantic desperate edge off.

11:26  
Blogger ClickNathan thought to mention...

Yes I don't think I will take it.

But 4 months is all he said it would take, I would probably sacrifice 4 months of sex and my natural self to get off of cigarettes.

But no, I was going to get the modem RX filled until i found out it was only for 75Kb/day for 6 weeks, and then I needed to go back to get a refill.

Fortunately, I could download the refill from a Canadian website but it was a 76Kb download and only lasted for one day, so you do the math.

22:22  

Post a Comment